It’s Valentine’s Day.
And, you know, I’ll admit that it’s not much of a holiday around here–we fall into the “it’s a commercialized ploy that doesn’t capture our feelings for each other” camp.
But, perhaps in an effort to demonstrate that I, too, can pour forth my feelings on February 14th, here is some stuff I totally love.
What are you loving this Valentine’s Day?
- Republican Mayors telling the truth on “show me your papers” laws
- All of the talk about the power of the Latino electorate
- Moderates in the Kansas Legislature getting a little less moderate and stepping up to defend the arts, our kids, and our budget
- Online connections to really cool thinkers…who are also movers
- Social policy textbooks that my students actually like to read
- Foundations that ‘get it’ about advocacy, and that evangelize to their peers
- My work helping nonprofit organizations integrate advocacy into their direct service work, and getting to be a part of The Building Movement Project’s approach to social change
- Welcoming back strong organizers, and good friends, to the Kansas struggle
- Colleagues, and good friends, doing awesome work around the country
- Nonprofit organizations that welcome my whole family–4 kids and all–as volunteers
- Social work students on fire about advocacy–and already winning
- Training promotoras–community health workers–to engage their constituencies in social change work
- Registering new voters who are excited to participate in their first election this fall
- Insights on social justice from ‘across the pond’
There’s a lot of love to go around, folks.
Happy Valentine’s Day!